Thursday, February 28, 2008

Versatile Grapes

I've never tried to grow grapes before. One of our friends has some grapevines growing around her back porch, and she often chooses not to do anything with them, so they go to waste. We got some from her one year and made jelly and canned grape juice from them, but I've always wanted to have my own vines. I think this year we might just go for it.

I'll have to do some research to find out more about varieties, but I've learned that there are more uses for grapes beyond the obvious. I'm interested in more jelly, but it seems that with the new dehydrator came a book of recipes that includes fruit leather. The kids are very interested in that. Also, you can eat grape leaves. A friend once made a dish with grape leaves wrapped around rice and a few other mysterious ingredients. They were delicious--I couldn't stop eating them. I'd be extremely happy to have access to my own grape leaves; you can't exactly buy them in the store. Come to that, I haven't even seen them at farmers' markets.

It seems that with the arrival of the new dehydrator, we're already discovering more and more possibilities for foods that we hadn't considered before, or had always treated as rare luxuries but soon could have both cheaply and easily.

No comments: