Saturday, February 16, 2008

Heirloom Seeds

According to the almanac and astrological data, today was one of the best days for starting seeds indoors for later transplant. This is the first year I've actually been on the ball enough to remember to buy seeds early and start any inside--usually I'm planting directly outdoors two to three weeks late, or buying already-started plants as large as I can get them from greenhouses. But this year, I didn't want hybrids; I wanted organic heirloom varieties. So a few weeks ago, I shopped for them online and ordered a bunch of seeds from this company. They arrived quickly, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do. I started some today in leftover little plastic pots from past-season bedding plants. If they all sprout, I should have Chinese cabbage, Golden Acre Cabbage, broccoli, leeks, asparagus, and two different varieties of tomato.

We don't have any south-facing windows in our house, so I've put the flat into the bottom half of a shallow clear plastic container in our dining-room window seat, which is east-facing. There's a heat vent on the floor right in front of it, so it should stay at a decent temperature, and I'll give it a little extra light each day with a gooseneck lamp to make up for whatever it lacks. On nice warm sunny days, I may even take the flat outside for a few hours. By the time we're past our last frost date, I should be able to transplant them into the garden beds or flower beds.

No comments: