Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Eating Organically on a College Budget


It's not easy trying to live as impact free on the environment as possible when you're a college student....one of the reasons why I'm glad I'm attending a college where they've done their best to make sure that the food served in the cafeteria is not only cooked well, but as organic and locally sourced as possible. There's just one problem.

Although I may only weigh approximately 100 pounds, and stand 5'2", I have been told by the cafeteria staff that I eat about as much as a linebacker does. While all my friends say that they would love to have my metabolism, it's really not as great as it seems. It means that although I have a great resource with the meal plan I'm paying big bucks for, I often have a schedule that means I can't use to to its greatest effectiveness. My college has what they call 'meal replacements' that I regularly make use of instead of going to the cafeteria. This makes my schedule easier to handle, particularly when I'm running late and can't get to the cafeteria for breakfast as often as I would like.

When I can't get a meal replacement, or go to the cafeteria, I generally have to find alternatives that are both as healthy as possible, and within my budget. If I didn't have the ability to eat mostly organic at the cafeteria, I'd probably be relegated to the traditional college student foods. Yuck!

No comments: