Friday, April 22, 2011

Seedlings

The tomato and pepper seedlings are up--or at least, many of them are up.  Unfortunately, all but two of the Roma Paste tomatoes did not sprout, and one of the two that did is small and seems a bit sickly.  I fear the rest were non-viable, and that's a pity, because there should have been ten Roma Paste in total and I've ended up with only two.  There's not really enough time to replant successfully and have them get large enough fast enough to be effective this year, so I will have to purchase the eight I need from a greenhouse.

Fortunately, the Principe Borghese heirloom came up strong and beautiful, as did three of the Marglobes, and they will fit the four topsy-turvies that I plan to hang from the patio.  So it's only most of the ones that go in the garden that I will have to buy from someone else.

The huz is happy because all but two of the super-hot peppers I planted for him have sprouted; he warmed up the seed pots under a blanket and a light for a day, and the seeds he had saved from peppers we grew last year sprouted.  He has over a dozen of these pepper plants now, and he is the only one who really wants to eat such hot peppers.  But that doesn't matter.  He's happy, and he'll have his peppers, and that's a good thing.

No comments: