Monday, March 2, 2009

Seeds

Wow, Heirloom Seeds is already closed for Spring orders! Last year, I bought seeds in...February, I think. Or maybe January. This year I was trying to wait a little and not be quite so anxious, since last year I had to keep my little plants in peat pots for so long waiting for the weather to be warm enough to plant them outside. This year, I thought I'd let another couple of weeks go by before starting my seeds inside, but...I should have ordered seeds before now. I am excited that so many people want heirloom seeds, though. And I just checked over my supply of seeds from last year and I have almost everything I need for this year. I just need to choose which main variety of tomato I'm going to grow this time, and find a new variety of green cucumber. Last year, I used a hybrid called Spacemaster, and it did not do as well as I hoped, even in the shade of my apple tree. The heirloom variety that Baker Seed sent me for free with an order, Lemon Cucumber, did extremely well and even tried climbing up the apple tree as a support. So I think I'll order them on purpose this time, and pick a new green cuke to satisfy the Huz, who likes his pickles mean and green.

No comments: