Saturday, May 24, 2008

No Farmers?

How can you have a farmers' market without a farmer? Over the past month, I've been to four different farmers' markets, and only one of them--my local one--didn't have at least one farmer in attendance.

The larger market in Boise has a decent number of farmers. The problem with the Boise market is that it's in the heart of downtown, and the only decent place to park is in one of the parking garages in the area. So in addition to whatever you pay the local farmers or artisans for their goods, you also pay about $5.00 in parking garage fees--depending on how long you want to linger at the market. The second largest option would be the Nampa market, but it's also in a downtown area, and while not as crowded or problematic as far as parking is concerned, it can still be tricky to get in and out of there. The benefit to my local market is its location; it's held in a large community center parking lot along a major road, and not only is access easy, but parking is free and plentiful. Unfortunately, the farmers are not. I've stopped in twice, and struck out on finding an actual farmer there on both occasions. They claim this spring's unusually cool weather has been the problem, and that all the greenhouses with produce are going to all the other markets. But the spinach in my outdoor raised beds--including the spinach we just planted this spring--has been harvestable for at least two weeks now. So not all the local produce has to be coming from greenhouses! After stopping by at the Meridian Farmers' Market, I drove down the road into Eagle, turned right, went down the main street a short way, and encountered the Eagle Farmers' Market, where I almost immediately found--guess what?--a farmer. So how can Meridian be so conspicuously without? The one market closest to me and easiest to get to, and it has no farmers thus far. They assure me this will change in a week or two, but...so far it's been disappointing. There have to be at least a few small farmers living in the Meridian area. In fact, I think I may have heard of at least a couple online. So what's the problem?

If my backyard garden was capable of producing more than not quite enough for my own family, I think I'd be tempted to go and be a farmer for the Meridian Farmers' Market just on principle. A farmers' market without a farmer. Sheesh.

No comments: